Preparation for First Reconciliation is a two-year process. As primary catechists, parents have an active roll in their child’s preparation.
Prior to receiving the Sacrament of Reconciliation, students should have a good understanding that in the Sacrament of Reconciliation we express sorrow to God for our sins, and we are forgiven.
At Our Lady of Good Counsel, First Reconciliation is celebrated in February of Grade 2. Preparation includes:
Family Mass / Breakfast / Meeting / Retreat – Saturday, September 10, 2016 – beginning 8:45am, Church
- We come together as a community to celebrate Eucharist and share a meal. Details of First Reconciliation, as well as an opportunity to update and renew the lived experience of the Sacrament of Reconciliation are provided.
- JMT Productions will present a retreat for our second graders. Through the use of puppets, clowning, story telling, music, and drama, children will learn about the love of God, forgiveness of sins, and how to live a good Christian life.
- The parish provides families with First Reconciliation home activity books. Parents are encouraged to work with their child in reviewing and discussing the material.
- Parents are asked to review the Helping hand (Examination of Conscience) and Format for Confession with their child.
- Parents are encouraged to review the Grade 2 textbook, as well as discuss and share stories of Jesus with their child, especially those pertaining to forgiveness (The Forgiving Father, The Lost Sheep, Zacchaus, etc.)
Sacrament of Reconciliation
- The celebration of First Reconciliation is held in the spring, with a communial family liturgy.
- This year’s date: Saturday, February 11, 2017.
A special parent handbook has been prepared to assist with details and particulars: